Are you stuck with “blank canvas” syndrome? The best way is just to get a background done, but what kind? In this free book of backgrounds video, you will learn how to create a simple diffused background with bright colours which can be used for almost any subject. Not only will this background work for portraits, still life, wildlife or art journaling, but if you create it on a full sheet, you can cut it into sized pieces for postcards and ATC’s.
Book of Backgrounds Surface:
- Strathmore 400 Series Watercolour Paper, 140lb
Palette: DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics
- Hanso Yellow Light – DMFA16
- Green Gold – DMFA14
- Blue-Green Light – DMFA01
Mediums and Speciality Products:
- DecoArt Media Matte Medium – DMM20
- DecoArt Media White Gesso – DMM18
- Royal Soft-Grip, #8 Bristle Bright – SG1425
- Royal Brush Square Brush Basin – RD325
- Royal Essentials Palette Paper – RD358
- Royal Palette/Painting Knife – LG2 (plastic for flexibility)
- No-Stick Mat (I’m currently using the Unstick Reusable Arts & Craft Sheet)
- Mister Bottle Filled with Water
- Paper Towels
- Baby or Kitchen Wipes
- Heat Gun
What do you think?
Can you imagine the endless possibilities with this technique just by changing up the brush, colours and motion? If you were given the background I created in the video, what would you paint on it as a subject? Comment below and share your thoughts.