As an instructor, I’m always trying to find ways for you to save money on art supplies. In this video, I’ll be demonstrating two different ways that you can use to prepare student quality canvas paper for any type of detailed painting, such as painting wildlife, landscape paintings or even painting a portrait in acrylics.
I suggest using canvas paper for painting studies, as it’s much more economical than painting on a canvas, plus using canvas paper as is, or binding into a journal takes up a lot less room.
Canvas paper in 8×10 size, folded gives you 4 pages. A pad usually has 15-20 sheets depending on the brand. Let’s take 15 sheets to a pad, that’s 60 pages for painting studies. Do you know how much room 60 canvases would take up! even 60 canvas panels.
Why not practice on watercolour paper or acrylic paper you ask? if you plan on mastering painting wildlife in acrylics or oils, or even painting landscapes or painting people portraits or figure paintings, you’ll likely be doing int on a canvas. Canvas paper is probably the closest thing you’ll come to at a fraction of the price and size.
Safety note: when sanding, always wear a proper filtered mask and never, ever have any type of fan or air conditioner running to create even the slightest breeze when sanding. Also don’t blow the sanding dust… I know it sounds pretty basic, but better safe than sorry. You don’t want to inhale the dust particles.
Two Ways to Prepare Canvas
Paper for a Detailed Wildlife Painting Study
Here’s What You’ll Need
- Canvas paper by Royal & Langnickle. This canvas paper is student quality and is paper based, not made from pure linen or cotton.
Paint products demonstrated are to try and address every type of paint or medium you may be using.
- DecoArt Americana Premium Acrylics (tube acrylics)
- Burnt Sienna – DTA09
- Titanium White – DTA40
- DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics: Titanium White – DMFA39
- DecoArt Traditions: Titanium White – DAT35
- Americana Decor Chalky Finish: Lace – ADC02
- Americana: Oyster Beige – DA313
- DecoArt Americana Premium: White Gesso – DTAM07
- DecoArt Media: White Gesso – DMM18
- DecoArt Acrylic Gesso – TXFP06
- 1″ Royal Gesso Artist Brush – L876-1
- #8 Soft-Grip Bristle Brush – SG1425
- 1″ Oval Wash – R4950
- #4 round – R4250
- #10 Shader – R4150
- #1 Script Liner – R4585
- palette paper
- paper towels
- 180 or 220 grit sandpaper
- tack cloth or baby wipes
Ready to Make This?