Wouldn’t it be nice to receive a mixed media miniature art piece instead of a store bought greeting card? or maybe as a framed piece of art?
I knew I wanted this design to be sized for multiple purposes, so 2.5″ x 3.5″ would take care of ATC’s, greeting cards or framed artwork. Whoever receives this can frame it, or glue it to a greeting card blank and further upcycle it, or just display it with other ATC’s.
Functional art is always something that’s fun to create.
Thinking back, I can’t remember when I stopped believing in Santa and that’s where the inspiration came for his project. I wanted to create a mixed media miniature art piece that was holiday themed featuring a little girl all bundled up for the cold with the theme of “Believe”. I also wanted to mix elements in this mixed media miniature art project, so you’ll find:
- card stock
- and trim
- Starting with the photo as the focal point, I was picking things out for elements. The little girl is all bundled up, so the fabric trim ties into her coat and hand warmer. The fabric snow flakes tie into the cold weather. The stones in the snowflake gives it just enough glam for this little girl. By mixing up the elements in subtle ways, things go together. Look around your home to see what you can use. Do you have an old pair of jeans that can’t be worn? cut them into pieces and glue onto a small canvas or heavy cardboard. There’s your fabric.
- What about old jewelry? there’s your embellishments.
- What about wool or an old sweater? you can use the buttons or stands of wool.
- Don’t have wooden quotes, print one using your computer and a favourite font.
- Want something other than the little girl as your focal point, check out The Graphics Fairy, she has so many free vintage printables that you’re sure to find something you like.
Mixed Media Miniature Art
- Cardboard packaging cut to desired size. I cut mine down to 2.5″ x 3.5″.
- DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics
- Raw Sienna – DMFA36
- Titan Buff – DMFA38
- Burnt Umber – DMFA03
- DecoArt Metallic Lustre, Wax Metallic Finish
- Orange Flicker – ML08C
- DecoArt Dazzling Metallics
- Bright Copper – DA337
- DecoArt SoSoft Fabric Paint
- Ice Crystal – DSSG09
Prep and Mediums
- DecoArt Media Matte Medium – DMM20
- DecoArt Media White Gesso – DMM18
- DecoArt Media Black Gesso – DMM19
- Americana Decou-Page Matte – DS106
Tools and Accessories
- DecoArt Application and Texture Tools – DAS221
- Americana Dual Sided Pouncers – DABK19
- Americana Glass Stencil Daubers – DABK21
- Americana Medieval Iron Accent – AS14
- Royal Majestic Brushes
- 3/4″ Wash – R4700
- #6, 10 & 12 Shader – R4150
- #3/0 Round – R4250
- Royal Soft-Grip Brush
- #8 Bristle Bright – SG1425
- Americana Decou-Page Paper: Victorian Romance – DP03
- Vintage Girl
- “Believe” quote
- Fabric Snow Flakes
- Frill Trim
- Scrap Paper
- Tiny Rhinestone
- Note: feel free to substitute and use what you have
- Royal Brush Square Brush Basin – RD325
- Unstick Reusable Arts and Crafts Sheet
- Mister Bottle Filled with Water
- Paper Towels
- Baby, Kitchen Wipes or Kitchen cloths (for dry rub application)
- Heat Gun
- Hot Glue Gun
What did you think?
Do you have some art sitting at home that you can re-purpose into something else to giveaway? I’d love to hear from you, please share in the comments below and if you have a picture, please post it as well!