Finally reaching the point of being able to make paint drip book covers for the outside front and back covers of the Book of Backgrounds 2016 project was bittersweet.
I’m so happy that the Book of Backgrounds phase is finally done…52 backgrounds is a lot, but being in the groove of creating inspiring backgrounds ready to be built upon and embellished in the next phase (DOUG 2017 aka Doing Our Unusual Genre) just leaves me with more and more ideas. I’ve kept a notebook of all the additional ideas over and above the 52 and if I can wait that long, I just might use them for Book of Background 2018.
How to Make Paint Drip Book Covers
Here are the two paint drip book covers created to hold all the Book of Background 2016 pages.
- Any type of surface that will accept acrylic paint.
- For the covers, I’m using the cardboard backing of a pad of watercolour paper. Backings for drawing, acrylic or even palette paper works really well for this technique.
DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics
- Titanium White – DMFA39
- Cerulean Blue – DMFA06
- Cobalt Turquoise Hue – DMFA09
- Cobalt Teal Hue – DMFA10
- Payne’s Grey – DFFA20
- Interference Blue – DMFA01
DecoArt Americana Chalky Finish Acrylics
- Everlasting – ADC01
- Escape – ADC20
DecoArt Media Misters
- Primary Cyan – DMM01
- Shimmer – Turquoise – DMM09
- Shimmer – Yellow – DMM11
Mediums and Specialty Products
- DecoArt Media White Gesso – DMM18
- DecoArt Media White Modeling Paste – DMM21
- DecoArt Americana Decou-Page Glue, Sealer & Finish – Matte – DS106
- DecoArt Americana Decor Crackle Medium – ADM08
- DecoArt Personally Yours Stencil – Urban Ink – Shadow – PYU04
- DecoArt Americana Mixed Media Stencils:
- Distressed Numbers – ASMM32
- Distressed Alpha – ASMM31
- DecoArt Gloss Enamels Stick on Stencil – Mod – AGS219
- DecoArt Americana Decou-Page Paper: Vintage Silhoutte – DP09
- Dictionary Book Paper
- Application and Texture Tools – DAS221
- #8 Bristle Bright – SG1425
- 3/4″, 1/2″ & 1″ Glaze Wash – R2700
- #10 & 12 Shader – R2150
Royal Clear Choice
- 3/8″ White Bristle Stencil – 1111
- 3/8″ Short Length White Bristle Stencil – 1112
- Royal Brush Square Brush Basin – RD325
- Royal Essentials Palette Paper – RD358
- Palette/Trowel Knife – LJT-2
- Unstick Reusable Arts and Crafts Sheet
- Mister Bottle Filled with Water
- Paper Towels
- Baby Wipes, Kitchen Wipes or Kitchen cloths (for dry rub application)
- Heat Gun
- Staedtler-Mars Lumograph Graphite Pencil – 7B
Did you enjoy the Book of Background series?
There were a lot of backgrounds in this series with different styles. If you were to create a front and back cover, what could you imagine it looking like? Please share in the comments below.