I’ve always wanted a tattoo, but afraid of what I would have chosen, in 10-20 years down the road, just wouldn’t be appropriate anymore. So this video lesson is so exciting for me where I get to use tattoo-inspired stencils to create a background art journal page with the theme of rock and roll.
Working outside of my comfort zone is made easier by using the tattoo-inspired stencil, but using deep bright orange, not so much. Adding vintage text script adds just enough detail to the background which knocks the intensity down.
The photo of the stencil I’m using is edgy and brings me back to my high school days of going to rock concerts such as Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Whitesnake (oh yeah), wearing leather, bling on my jacket and knee high boots.
The beauty of an art journal is that there are no rules and if you don’t like it, paint over it. Not so much with a real tattoo so let’s see what happens in an art journal.
Using a Tattoo-Inspired Stencil
- Anything that will accept acrylic paint that is sturdy.
DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics
- Napthol Red Light – DMFA19
- Diarylide Yellow – DMFA11
- Metallic Silver – DMFA48
DecoArt Metallic Lustre (wax metallics)
- Lavish Green – ML10C
- Black Shimmer – ML05C
Prep and Mediums
- DecoArt Media White Gesso – DMM18
- DecoArt Media Matte Medium – DMM20
- DecoArt Media Modeling Paste – DMM21
- DecoArt Personally Yours, Urban Ink – Strength – PYU27
- DecoArt Application and Texture Tools – DAS221
- DecoArt Americana Decou-Page Paper, Vintage Silhouette – DP09
- 1/2″ & 3/4″ Glaze Wash – R2700
- #4, 6 & 10 Shader – R2150
- #8 Bristle Bright – SG1425
- Royal Brush Square Brush Basin – RD325
- Royal Essentials Palette Paper – RD358
- Unstick Reusable Arts and Crafts Sheet
- Mister Bottle Filled with Water
- Paper Towels
- Baby, Kitchen Wipes or Kitchen cloths (for dry rub application)
- Heat Gun
Was this edgy enough for you?
I’m not going to get personal and ask if you have a tattoo, but have you ever been inspired by some type of art that you would like to have gotten a tattoo of that image? Share in the comments below.